Sunday, September 6, 2009

Brief Update

Well, yesterday was a pretty devastating day! My mom and I went to the hospital around 10:30 so we could be there with dad when they moved him. He was in a pretty good mood. We even had him laughing a little. His sisters (Susan, Terry and Coree) came to visit and he laughed and cried with them. I know he loves them so much! About noon, the care center came to get dad. He seemed okay - I'm sure the sisters being there helped. I rode with him in the van and he was very quiet. We had told him several times what was going on, but I don't think he understood. I tried talking to him on the way, but he wasn't really in the mood to talk.
Well, when we got there and started walking down the hall of the center, I just cried. I couldn't believe it had come to this - and, I didn't feel like he was supposed to be there. It was horrible! My mom got there shortly after and we were able to talk to the nurse and someone else (I don't know what he was exactly). It sounds like they will evaluate dad for 72 hours and then we'll decide on his care plan.
Anyways, we stayed there with him for a few hours and then I needed to get Myles home - so, we left. I called later to check on him and they said he was doing good.
My mom was able to visit with her sister Joyce for a few hours - which I know she needed.
It was so devastating leaving him there! But, I'm not sure we have any other option...

4 comments:

  1. My whole life my dad wasn't much of a talker. I enjoyed just sitting in the same room with him while watching tv, or sitting on the porch watching it rain. I hope you are able to have more times to laugh.
    I know your dad loves you very much even in the times he's unable to show you.
    Your family is definatly on our minds and in our prayers.
    Teena Rasmussen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen - I saw you from a distance today at Church and wanted to you to know how much we love you and how sad we are for you. Please know you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers! I have no answers except that the Lord knows what he is doing - as hard as that is to accept at times.

    All our love,

    Alan & Kim Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,
    It was so good to see at church today and sit beside you as we usually do. It took alot for me not to cry because I felt the pain you were having. I only wish I could take some of that pain away. You and Gary have been such wonderful friends to me over the many years. Just remember Karen should you ever need anything, I'm just a phone call away. You both are always in my thoughts and prayers.Next time you see Gary tell him I said Hello. May the Lord be with you to help you get through this trying time.

    With all MY Love.

    Your Friend Cheryl B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We, too, wish we could do something to alleviate the pain and heartache you are feeling.
    What facility is Gary in? Maybe by the weekend we could stop in if you feel it is a good idea.

    Karen, we love you and your family and know you are in our prayers as well as our families prayers.
    Love, Byron and Joyce

    ReplyDelete