Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wednesday Update

My Aunt Leslie and Uncle Roger came down from Logan to see dad, as well as Grandpa Rupp and Susan (who visit dad all the time). He was a little agitated today, but I know he loves them and was happy to see them.
We did get some news today - but, not the news we wanted to hear. The doctors believe (about 90% sure) that dad has Lewy Body Dementia - which, is non-treatable! So, it appears as if we've lost dad for good. Me and my mom have looked this up tonight, and all the signs sure seem to fit my dad. They will run two more tests tomorrow to make sure, and then we will possibly have to move him Monday to a nursing home. The doctor told my mom tonight that dad can't go home.
It's just all too much tonight! I guess this is a lesson to us all - that precious time with our loved ones can be taken away so quickly.
The thing that is the hardest for us to comprehend is that dad might live like this for the next 20 years. He has lost the ability to eat which means he has a feeding tube. They have to tie down his hands because he pulls it out. So, does this mean he has to be tied down forever?? We don't know, but I don't know how we can watch this for that long.
I guess we will wait and see what the doctor's have to say tomorrow, but it doesn't look good. We will keep you posted tomorrow. Thanks again for all your prayers. It means everything to us at this time!!

We love you dad!!

6 comments:

  1. Tif and Karen
    I am so sorry that the news wasn't good for you today. My heart goes out for you. Please know that my prayers will ALWAYS ALWAYS be with you. Karen,I know it is easy for me to say this but, I know you and your family will get through this trying time. Just know that the lord is with you to help you. With all my love. Take care ....Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are sorry! Please let us help in anyway we can. Gene and Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. I wish they had different news for your family. We will be fasting for you this weekend.

    Hugs & Prayers,
    Matthew & Christina Davis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, Heidi, Tiff and families,
    We love you guys and always have. You are in our thoughts and prayers always. Gary has always been our second father! We are so sad to hear this news. Please let us help in any way! We love you!
    Love, The Henderson's

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so sorry you don't have good news; just know the Lord is with each of you and will provide the comfort you need.
    We love you.
    Byron and Joyce Elfors

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Karen & Family

    Our family is so sorry about that news and everything that is going on. Gary has been our family home teacher a few years ago, and now he was serving as our daughter’s home teacher. He brought such a blessing to our home. I had the great opportunity to serve with Gary in a calling. It was a wonderful opportunity for me. I learned so much from serving with him. It was an honor and a blessing which I shall cherish forever. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Please let us know if we can do anything to help you and your family. Our whole family loves Gary and all he did for our family. Our love and our prayers are with you and your family.

    All our love
    Robert and Nancy Toone

    ReplyDelete