Saturday, September 5, 2009

Friday/Saturday Update

Well, I will apologize right now - this will not be the most uplifting post! Things definitely hit a low yesterday. While visiting my dad yesterday, the social worker came in and told me and my mom that we had to move my dad by tomorrow because her insurance won't pay for the hospital anymore. So, she helped us look into nursing homes. At first, she called the one in AF and they told her they had a room - so me and my mom were relieved to know he'd be that close. Well, they called back and said nevermind! They won't take my dad in his condition - I guess he will take too much of their time! So, the social worker then called my mom later and said that no nursing homes in Utah County will take my dad. So we have to put him in a home in Salt Lake. I am SO mad right now! I don't understand why one bad thing after another keeps happening to our family. Well, to top it off, my mom's insurance called her a few hours ago to tell her that they will only pay for 5 days in the nursing home - WHAT??? My dad doesn't qualify for rehabilitation, so they won't pay for anything other than that. But wait, it gets better. They then called back and said they've denied your claim and won't pay for even ONE DAY! My mom is just beside herself! And, I don't know what to do to help her right now. I guess I'm struggling to understand why God has decided to throw this at us. I know it's not his fault - and, please forgive me for talking this way - but, hasn't my dad been through enough in his lifetime? And my mom?
It was definitely a rough day yesterday! Just when it seemed like there was possibly a light at the end of the tunnel, BAM - it was gone!
So, we are moving dad this afternoon. Everything feels pretty hopeless right now...

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry things are so frustrating right now.

    I have dealt with a lot of insurance fights with our son's open heart surgery. I would recommend asking for an insurance case manager. That way you deal with the same person in getting things approved and understanding what your policy covers.

    Also you can appeal any decision made by the insurance so that you fight to make them cover the costs. Since the doctors said that he can not come home and needs full-time help (evident by the local nursing homes not being willing to take him) that should tell the insurance company something.

    I am sure this is so difficult for you guys, but remember how much you are all loved. We are fasting and praying for your family!

    Hugs & Prayers,
    Matt & Christina Davis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff... I love ya! Thanks for coming and spending some time with me yesterday and venturing on over to Zupa's with me and your mom... even though the conversation was hard to get through.

    Good luck with your dad's move. He needs you there! I know things are feeling INCREDIBLY hopeless, and it might get worse. I AM SORRY! I don't know why horrible things happen to amazing people. It certainly doesn't seem fair.

    I love ya! Karen, I love ya too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen and Tif
    So sorry to here the bad news about moving Gary and the trouble you are having with placeing him. My sister Myrna had a bad time when she had to place her husband in a nursing home. She might be able to give you some advice and whom you should talk with. If you are interested, give me a call and I will give you her phone number.So sorry you all have to go through this, you are such wonderful people. With all my love Cheryl Bellarosa

    ReplyDelete