Monday, September 7, 2009

Precious Moments

Yesterday we were able to spend some wonderful hours with dad. We have been struggling with knowing what direction to go from here - but, we put all that aside and just enjoyed each other. My sister was able to come down with all her kids. So, all the grandkids were there to see dad. They all hugged him and told him they loved him - it was so emotional. Dad has touched all our lives and I just hope he knows that!!
Dusty and Mark gave him a blessing of peace and comfort. We all were able to give him hugs. It sure felt like goodbye - even though it wasn't. He was crying and I know he knew us and loved us.
Even though dad got confused at times, he seemed aware of us and I know he was glad we were there.
Our good friends Lawanna and Michelle came to see him and had him laughing - just like old times. Dad was so close with Lawanna's husband Ed - we were all family growing up. I know it was hard for them to see dad that way, but I was so glad they were there. Grandpa Great also came to see him and dad's sister Coree (and her daughter Jennifer).
Today, Mom and I met with the head nurse at the facility. I think we are feeling better about things (well, as good as we can I guess). Dad was doing okay today. Still struggling though. And, very tired today. We got a call about 5:30 from the center and I guess dad had fallen. He tried getting up from his wheelchair and couldn't keep his balance. We were getting ready to go down, but I decided to call my Aunt Susan and see if she could go check on him. (My kids had had about enough of the car today.) She said of course so her and Wayne went to check on dad. He was okay, thank goodness. I'm always thankful that Susan is a phone call away!!
My mom also got a call from an old friend Joanne today, and she had gone to see dad too. He was able to eat a little while her and Bill were there. I know how much dad loved the Henderson's and Newman's - so I am so glad he was able to spend some time with them.
I am so thankful for this time we have with dad - even if it will be a short time. He is such a wonderful person and has done so much for so many! I am so thankful for his example of love and patience.
Here are a few pictures from last night:
Dad & Mom

Rupp Family
(Heidi, Tiff, Dad & Mom)

Father & Son
(Grandpa Great with Dad)

Dad and his sister Coree

Myken & Grandpa

Grandpa & Duncen

Lunden & Grandpa

Grandpa & Jack

Grandpa & Bree

Grandpa & Myles

Dusty, Dad, Tiff

Mark, Dad, Heidi, Talen

All the grandkids
(Bree, Jack, Myles, Lunden, Myken, Talen, Duncen)

5 comments:

  1. Karen anf tif.
    Gary looked so happy to have his family by his side. You all are so fortunate to have such a wonderful family to be at ones side at this time. Even though Gary doesn't seem like it at times be assured he does know and LOves his grandkids All the time. Within his heart he always has them with him, as a grandparent I know. My love and prayers are with you all. Would love to see gary sometime and tell him just how much I love him as a friend and I miss him very much,only when the time is right though, Just let me know.

    With all my Love,

    Cheryl Bellarosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff, thank you for posting all of these pictures. I am sure your exhausted each day and these posts probably get hard. We check everyday to see how Gary is doing. We will keep you all in our prayers! Gary came to Tyson's baby blessing a couple of months ago, and it was fun to see him. He always had a big smile on his face, and I hope you get to see that smile from time to time as he goes through all of this.
    Jeff & Jenny Barney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! What an emotional post. What a blessing that everyone could get together and that you can have these pictures. Keep taking them!! I know it's hard to keep the faith right now but look for the small mercies that the Lord is showing you. Having everyone with your dad is certainly one of them. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiff and family,
    What a rollercoaster ride this has been...and it is still going. Please know that we are praying for you. We love you and so does our Heavenly Father! May His choicest blessings be with you and your family at this time.

    Love, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen and Family,
    thanks for the continued updates! You both are amazing and I have got to give you a high five for all that you are going through. Gary is an amazing man and has a profound affect on so many people. Know that we love you and that our prayers are constantly with you and your family. Big Hugs from all of us....the Whittakers

    ReplyDelete